Wednesday, March 15, 2017

End of an era: Topsoil Removal

Literally standing in the middle and on the top of my "field"...as I took these pictures!

 

  If you purchased a load of topsoil in the early 70's, you have a piece of our farm!

 

Interesting how a small piece of our farm may have been a benefit to so many people in the Milwaukee and Southeastern Wisconsin area. 

 

 


William Liesner Soils

Aerial view of our farm in 1954 from 1000 feet. 

Taken with my first 35 MM Camera: Kodak Retina Reflex 

Trade Press Media building is in upper left corner now. They have same address 2100 West Florist Avenue that we had!

 

 

 

Prior to topsoil removal: Our lettuce field 

 

Why did we go out of business? Not by choice!


●   As a result of economic expansion of the City of Glendale, and installation of sewer and water to our property, and with high taxes, we were forced out of business.  Developed farm into Industrial Park.

I was so focused on what I was passionate about at the time...growing lettuce that I didn't see what was coming: Economic expansion of the City of Glendale! Could  have sold the farm several years earlier without all the development costs and been alot better off financially. Also, could have kept in business for a few more years...But then I have a strong feeling that I wouldn't be writing this now. The LORD had other plans! So thankful!

 

The beginning of the end.

 

Found an old clipping from the local Glendale newspaper. Our neighbor sold his topsoil from his 10 acre farm which caused a potential disaster to our lettuce crop. They put up a short plastic fence next to our property which stopped the wind blown soil to a great extent..when there was a strong Westerly wind. Two years later, we sold our topsoil to the same company! 







    "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon your and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." Matthew 11:28-30.  

 

 "Many are the plans in a man's heart, but it is the LORD'S purpose that prevails." Proverbs 19:21

 

Looking back on on my Gallup Strengthsfinder 2.0 Analysis, I can see how my top "Strengths" " Connectedness", "Belief" and "Achievement", but especially "Connectedness" shows how the LORD has worked and been working in my life to give me peace and contentment in all the events at that time and up to this time.

In Jesus Christ God gives us our identity, our purpose and our meaning in this life and in the life to come.1 Peter1:1-12

 

 

Some prior thoughts on our work and our calling

 

 

Description of prior Lettuce growing business. 

 

More pictures of the topsoil removal from our farm.

 Farm  house. Southwest corner of property.  Trade Press Media building at this site now. Johnson Controls across street. This is corner of Florist and Baker Rd.





Florist Avenue 

 




Northwest Corner of property: Now location of Batteries Plus Warehouse








Northeast corner of property. Batteries Plus warehouse now.




Batteries Plus Warehouse now. Looking South

Liesner Soils is still in business: Liesner Soils


No comments:

Post a Comment